Sunday, May 9, 2010

... an haughty spirit before a fall

Today I rewrote a post, Breakfast, in which I was precisely what I railed against last week - unkind. An haughty spirit, indeed! Not, though, the figure below.

I first saw this bronze figure of a monk three years ago when as a member of an ASID committee I arrived at the event we'd arranged and this figure, seemingly the firm's talisman, captivated me. Then it was unavailable, but last week I was able to secure it and here it sits, temporarily, on the bench in the hall, too heavy for me on my own to lift, twenty-seven inches tall and with an expression of such trusting enquiry on its face - I hesitate to say his face, as the calvinist in me makes me wary of idolatry - I cannot but look at it every time I pass by. The figure has such presence, its almost haunting. There's no haughtiness in that monk's spirit.

5 comments:

  1. It is nice to get that second change and rare luck, fate? I see the attraction. pgt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, little augury. The monk has been moved to the dining table where the rising sun perfectly catches it's face - in such a way is a chunk of metal anthropomorphized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your serene monk will be beautiful on the dining room table catching the morning light. A last look at his face before walking out of the door will surely set the tone of the day.

    I've never completely trusted people who appear to be 'too good' rather, it's the struggle to get there that is particularly attractive. I'm sure the model for your monk knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i spy with my little eye... the turgot plan de paris!!! excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pigtown-Design - I'm afraid so. There it is, hanging on the wall in the hall, each sheet, separately framed - cost a fortune considering how cheap it was at the Louvre gift shop. One thing is that I wish I'd had it aged more than it is - it's too white.

    ReplyDelete